Director of Development and Communications
- Job Title: Director of Development and Communications
- Reports to: President, Board of Directors (and potential to co-direct and peer supervise additional director)
- Status: Full-time salaried (salary range: $72,000-80,000) with full benefit package (100% employer paid health insurance, paid time off, generous family leave policy)
- Location: Remote (must live within Texas)
Fund Texas Choice is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to help Texans equitably access abortion through safe, confidential, and comprehensive travel services and practical support.
The Development Director will report to the Board of Directors and will be responsible for providing fundraising leadership and strategic direction to ensure Fund Texas Choice’s stability and continued growth. The Development Director will be responsible for leading all fundraising initiatives. To accomplish this objective, the Development Director will perform the following functions:
Development & Communications
- Develop and successfully carry out Fund Texas Choice’s development strategy, with support of FTC Board of Directors (and co-director).
- Lead the Board of Directors (and co-director) in stewardship and development efforts.
- Cultivate and steward individual donors by building and maintaining relationships with current and potential donors.
- Develop a diverse network of major donors (in Texas and nationally).
- Develop, nurture and grow relationships with current and prospective donors including individuals, foundations, corporations, and other nonprofits through direct personal contact and other means of
- Create and implement fundraising campaigns via various channels & platforms (mailings, email, social media, etc.).
- Recruit sponsors, participants, and volunteers for fundraising events.
- Supervise part-time administrative staff person.
- Plan, coordinate, and attend all Fund Texas Choice virtual and live events (when appropriate), including film screenings, conference presentations, donor house parties, and other fundraising events.
- Develop donor acknowledgement to ensure all gifts and donations are appropriately recognized.
- Accurately enter data and maintain a CRM system to effectively manage contact information for existing and potential donors.
- Provide monthly fundraising reports to the Board.
- Display deep understanding of fundraising best practices and to make recommendations to the Board about implementing new or updated fundraising strategies.
Grant Requests & Administration
- Identify grant funding opportunities and be responsible for all research, writing, and reporting requirements.
- Identify and track all potential institutional giving and grant opportunities in the CRM system, including deadlines, required materials, necessary involvement of Board, status of application, etc.
- Draft and submit letters of intent, grant applications, and other funding requests.
- Create and continually update documents and reports to streamline grant drafting and submissions process.
- Execute timely reporting for grant compliance (including approving financial reports), as required.
Public Relations, Community Engagement, and Marketing
- Build and sustain working relationships and communication with FTC partners, including National Network of Abortion Funds, local abortion funds, clinics, volunteers, etc.
- Oversee and direct all media relations, social media communication, media production, and general public outreach.
- Develop and update marketing materials to support gift cultivation, including website, email marketing templates, program pamphlets, and thank you cards, etc.
- Develop and maintain media contacts to ensure accurate coverage of FTC in media.
Required Qualifications, Knowledge, & Skills
- 5+ years of fundraising experience with track record in fundraising, stewarding donors, and direct ask
- Detail-oriented and highly organized.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
- Prior success managing the entire fundraising process, including donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement, and other best practices in the field of donor cultivation.
- Experience with online CRM systems.
- Ability to work well with a variety of personnel with differing levels of authority, experience, and backgrounds, including board members, staff, and volunteers.
- Self-motivated & confident – ability to work with remote supervision.
- Creativity and indefatigable problem-solving skills.
- Prior experience and high comfort level with online business and co-working tools (eg: Google Suite, Slack, etc.).
- Knowledge of the nonprofit setting, project planning and prospect research
- Understanding of the media landscape, including comfort with developing press releases, public service announcements and other written communication with the media and public.
- Comfort with serving as an organizational spokesperson.
- Competency with a variety of social media platforms.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders.
- Professional maturity, credibility, patience, good judgment, honesty, integrity and trust.
- Commitment to professional development.
- Experience working with volunteers and Boards of Directors.
This job is right for you if you…
- Are committed to abortion access and full reproductive health care for all, using an intersectional framework that includes, but is not limited to gender, economic, and racial justice.
- Have a knack for talking to people and feel comfortable asking for donations to support this work.
- Appreciate working with a diverse and inclusive Board and staff.
- Exercise good judgment by considering potential consequences of a decision and making the best choice.
- Hold yourself to a high ethical standard for acceptable conduct.
- Are open to giving and receiving feedback and committed to practicing this regularly.
- Believe in bucking the trend through progressive policies to create a new vision for our future.
How to apply
Interested applicants may send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com by June 5, 2020.
Fund Texas Choice is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual based on any non-merit factor, and is committed to an equitable workplace where everyone is treated as a respected and valued member of the team. In fact, FTC actively seeks to build and maintain a diverse staff with regard to race, culture, ethnicity, class, religion, physical ability, age, gender, and sexual orientation. As an organization working in solidarity with the reproductive justice movement, FTC is committed to fostering the leadership and elevating the voices of women, young people, people of color, Native people, immigrant and refugees, low-income people, LGBQ+, and transgender, gender non-conforming, and non-binary people, people who have had abortions, people with disabilities, young parents, people who were formerly imprisoned, people who have received funding for abortions, and people living in the many intersections of these experiences. We encourage people from these communities to apply. Previous affiliates of Fund Texas Choice are encouraged to apply and discuss association with the hiring committee.